A furnace is the heart of your home, providing you with cozy heat during the coldest winter months. Most people have their furnace maintained on a regular basis, including having the dust filter replaced twice annually, but is it time for you to completely replace your furnace? There are several signs that should alert you to the need for replacement of your furnace, including:
- Most furnaces last between 15 and 20 years, so if yours is in this age range, it may not be running as efficiently as a newer furnace would. If your electrical bill is a lot higher than it has been in previous years, it could be due to your furnace. Many people are concerned with the cost of purchasing a new furnace, but if your electrical bills are higher because of an inefficient furnace, a new efficient furnace could pay for itself with your electrical bill savings.
- If you have noticed that your furnace is making some very weird noises, it could be an indication that your furnace is about to pack it in. You might hear squealing, popping or banging noises or you may notice that the blower runs constantly. If the blower is always cycling on and off and blows cold air, you probably need to replace your furnace.
- An older furnace does not run properly and may not have the ability to properly distribute warm air evenly around your home. You may notice that some rooms in your home are too hot and others are not warm at all.
- You are constantly calling the repairman to service your furnace because your furnace keeps breaking down.
- Old furnaces can become dangerous and can kill. Any cracks in the heat exchanger can allow carbon monoxide to leak into your home. It is always a good idea to have at least one carbon monoxide detector installed in your home to alert you to this silent danger. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include a burning sensation in the eyes or nose, headache, disorientation and nausea.
- If you home has humidity problems – too dry in the winter and too moist in the summer, then you should consider replacing your furnace.
- Inefficient furnaces also cannot keep the air in your home clean. If the air in your home seems stale or dry then it could be because of your out of date furnace.
If your furnace needs to be replaced, don’t wait until it fails to go out shopping for a new one – this creates a high pressure situation and can lead to a poor decision. It is a good idea to start doing some research as soon as possible to determine which furnace you want to buy, where you can purchase it and what price range to expect. If you have the time to shop carefully, you can wait for a good sale before you purchase this big ticket item.
Purchasing and installing a new furnace can be a really big improvement to your home for so many reasons. Although the up-front cost can be quite expensive, the cost savings in the future and the health of your family is definitely worth the expense.